Journalism and other writing
I specialise in arts, books, theatre, photography, classical music, travel and cultural policy, but in a decade as a writer I've tackled topics as diverse as the cultural history of gender, the films of Nanni Moretti and the Nazis’ curious penchant for jazz. I've also interviewed people including Tom Stoppard, Svetlana Alexievich, Ian McEwan and Martin Parr, and reported from China, Russia, Germany, India, France, the US and Taiwan. And I'm an experienced editor, both in print and online.
If you’d like to discuss a piece I could write – or commission me! – do get in touch.
Reporting, features, long reads
I love long-format storytelling, and have contributed long reads to The New Yorker online, The Guardian, The New Statesman and Prospect magazine. Some recent highlights:
On British TV and film’s diversity crisis [New Statesman]
Profile: Caryl Churchill’s prophetic drama [NewYorker.com]
Profiles and interviews
People I've interviewed over the years include John Malkovich, Tom Stoppard, Svetlana Alexievich, Peter Brook, Rachel Weisz, Martin Parr, Abi Morgan, Ivo van Hove, Grayson Perry, Alistair Campbell and Sienna Miller. Some recent pieces:
Reviews, criticism, op-ed
I've reviewed photography for the New Yorker website, theatre for the Guardian, and books for outlets including the Times Literary Supplement and the Evening Standard. Recent articles include:
- Nicholas Hytner's Balancing Acts [book review, Guardian]
- Paul Strand’s sense of things [photography review, NewYorker.com]
Szekspir by any other name: can Shakespeare be translated? [op-ed, Wall Street Journal]
An experienced desk editor, I was on staff at The Guardian from 2005 to 2014. For three of those years, I was on the senior editorial team as overall theatre editor, commissioning theatre and dance coverage of all kinds (text, imagery, interactives, video) both in print and on the web. Before that, I was online arts editor, with a brief that also covered visual art, architecture, classical music and architecture.
A few (older) favourites
- Made in Manhattan: the magical mystery of Saul Leiter [art/photography essay, Guardian Review, 2016]
- How Banksy's policeman got his legs back: restoring contemporary art [reported feature, Guardian arts pages, 2015]
- 'My aim is the ultimate production': Ivo van Hove on theatre [profile interview, Guardian arts pages, 2014]
- Ibsen, our contemporary [Essay/interactive, Barbican, 2014]
- Ian McEwan on writing, retirement and music [profile interview, Guardian G2, 2014]
- My favourite film: Nanni Moretti's Caro Diario [critical essay, Guardian online, 2011]
- 'Hamlet? A mess': Thomas Ostermeier on tearing up Shakespeare [profile interview, Guardian arts pages, 2011]